Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Final Thoughts

The WTOC came to a close about two weeks ago. The final competition was the second day of PreO. This was not a stellar day for team USA. Richard, who was in a great position entering Day 2, only scored 19 out of 28 and fell significantly in the standings. Clare and Sharon both scored 21, and Clare ended with the top US result in 36th place. Our Paralympic team continued to learn and, despite low scores, managed to keep out of the last spot. Best Paralympic finish was Matt Pietro in 35th place. Richard H. Ebright completed all three days of the Public competition and ended in 5th place overall in the public combined scoring.

We've had time to rest and recuperate and think about our performance. Here are some closing thoughts from a few team members:

Richard Y. Ebright:

How would you assess your performance at WTOC? 
Overall, my performance was worse than in my previous WTOC appearances (2008, 2011, 2012). However, this was driven by a poor showing on PreO Competition Day 2; on the first day, I did very well, ending at 9th place, which I'm proud of. 

What was your greatest strength at WTOC? 
For the most part, I've gotten much more accurate with timed controls. Of the 53 timed controls this year, between models, TempO, PreO, and the relay, I only missed 4. That's a lot better than at previous events, TempO or PreO. 

Where do you feel you most need improvement? 
In the same vein as my greatest strength, while my accuracy was high for the timed controls, my speed was not internationally competitive. My overall times for TempO were similar to those from the US Championships at Camp Scherman this year, but I found that international competition was simply much faster. So a big goal of mine is really to speed up those timed controls while maintaining at least some of the accuracy I demonstrated this year.

What was the high point of the week for you? 
Though I was riding high after seeing my top 10 finish after the first PreO day, I would say that the high point of the week was meeting the members of our Paralympic team. It was the first time in a long, long time that the US has fielded a full Paralympic team, and our group, though fairly new to the sport, was ready and eager to represent the red, white, and blue. They're just getting started, and I hope to see them at future US and international events! 

What was the low point of the week for you? 
Probably also after PreO day 1, while waiting for results. It was downpouring all through the course, and when I finished, I was soaked. But I had forgotten to bring a change of clothes, and as one of the early finishers, I had to wait for hours in my soaked uniform. So that's my lesson from WTOC2017: always have extra, warm clothes. 

Curtis Schreiner:

How would you assess your performance at WTOC?
Trail O was a total learning experience. After seeing what it entailed and the level of skill required I am satisfied with roughly 50% accuracy. I was expecting much poorer performance considering the level of competition and am satisfied with how we did as a para team.

Where do you feel you most need improvement?
I need to recognize better the subtleties of each terrain feature. 

What did you feel well prepared for?I think I have a pretty good grasp of the control descriptions. 

Do you plan to continue with trail orienteering?I would like to continue in the sport and learn it much better. My goal is to try to attend events in the US and practice as much as possible. 

What was the high point of the week for you?
Seeing and experiencing the camaraderie between teams and meeting new friends. 

What was the low point of the week for you?The upper level organization at the event left a bit to be desired. Luckily we all returned home in one piece.

Any other thoughts or comments on your WTOC experience?I think we had a great team and all were totally willing to help instruct the new guys. Lithuania was great and the staff of the hotel was very nice. The volunteers from the O clubs there did a great job and worked very hard to make the experience a good one.

Clare Durand:

How would you assess your performance at WTOC?
I was hoping for better, specifically to make the TempO finals and two nice days on PreO. I only had one good PreO day. This sight line style of TrailO does not play to my strengths. I am really best at reading detailed terrain and contours and there wasn't a lot of that this year. 

What was your greatest strength at WTOC?
Probably increased speed at TempO. There is still much room for improvement, but I'm happy with how much I've already improved. 

Where do you feel you most need improvement?
Distance estimation for sure! I need to get much better at estimating how far away things are from me and from each other in the terrain. I missed a few controls that I might have gotten right if I were better at this. 

What are your goals in regards to trail orienteering over the next year?
Continue to improve in TempO and PreO. Win a U.S. Championship and help to get more TrailO and training happening here in the US. I don't want to lose the enthusiasm of our new Paralympic members, so we need to make sure they have opportunities 

What was the high point of the week for you?
10th place in the Relay.

Any other thoughts or comments on your WTOC experience?
Loved having the new Paralympic team with us. It was really interesting to see how these novices approached the sport, how much they still have to learn, and to share their excitement and growth. 

Russ Myer (Paralympic team organizer and coach):


How would you assess your performance at WTOC?
For a fresh face to trail O, I set no hard performance expectations. Realizing event formats and rules provided a platform from which I could gage assimilation more than anything-mission accomplished!!!. My Foot O background helped me work with the Para Trail O supporting their growing performance event to event.

What was your greatest strength at WTOC?
As a Para team coach…being adaptive and supporting the athletes so their experiences and performances would be positive.

What did you feel well prepared for?
Handling so many unique event and trip scenarios

What were you poorly prepared for?
Lack of precision for complex/tricky control stations

What are your goals in regards to trail orienteering over the next year?
Set up a Trail O course and program in NY’s Capital Region

Any other thoughts or comments on your WTOC experience?
A HUGE Kudos to Clare Durand for all her work….BRAVO!! Thank you to all the team members





1 comment: